GotPoetry.com > > Forums > > GotDiscussion? > > Poetry Discussion > > any correlation between a poems length and quality?
GotPoetry.com

Help
Toggle Content .:: Home :: Poems :: Workshop Forums :: Register :: Features ::.
Toggle Content Judge this Poem

Toggle Content User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Nickname
Password
(Register)

Membership:
Latest: FireandIcegirl
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 16965

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 147
Bots: 1
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff currently online.

Toggle Content Paid Membership
Buy a paid membership and get more out of GotPoetry!

Advertise on the GotPoetry Advertising Network.

Toggle Content Donations
Donate with PayPal!
GotPoetry is a community supported site.
Due Date: Nov 30
November Goal: 230.00
Gross Amount: 0.00
PayPal Fees: 0.00
Net Balance: 0.00
Below Goal: 230.00
Site Currency: USD
 0%

Toggle Content Top Poetry Clubs

Forums > > GotDiscussion? > > Poetry Discussion > > any correlation between a poems length and quality?
My PostsMy Posts  SearchSearch   visitView posts since last: visitdayweekmonth

any correlation between a poems length and quality?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index > > Poetry Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
galley_poet
And for a moment, it was like joy was

And for a moment, it was like joy was
Staff Picks!Eat Chicken!

Credits: 31

PostPosted: Wed Oct 3 15:09:23 EDT 2007    Post subject: any correlation between a poems length and quality? Reply with quote

discuss.

John
SysOp

SysOp

Credits: 130

PostPosted: Wed Oct 3 15:26:23 EDT 2007    Post subject: Re: any correlation between a poems length and quality? Reply with quote

Often there is an inverse relationship.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
Tony
"I'm not mad. I'm just PISSED OFF!"

Staff Picks!Critic!Judge - holiday poetry contest

Credits: 196

PostPosted: Wed Oct 3 18:12:34 EDT 2007    Post subject: Re: any correlation between a poems length and quality? Reply with quote

no. ask any haiku master.

lordfuznut
Beauty's but the beginning of terror

Staff Picks!Haiku contest - 2nd placeStaff Picks!Best Critic!

Credits: 4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 8 4:43:34 EDT 2007    Post subject: Re: any correlation between a poems length and quality? Reply with quote

yes, I concur with Tony -just ask me

www.reverbnation.com/planetfuznut

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
Deleted_User_2622
"I am RAREFIED!!!"

Poet of the Month!

Credits: 35

PostPosted: Mon Oct 8 6:27:42 EDT 2007    Post subject: Re: any correlation between a poems length and quality? Reply with quote

Interesting question-
my take is this:
you need to define what the word quality means in more detail.

If you have a HK and a fifty line poem together both by excellent poets
- is the quality the same?- it depends how you define quality-
quality is not based on volume- therefore however good the long poem is- it is possible no more quality than the HK.

The biggest issue- is who decides what is quality and what is not-

and more still what is more quality than another-

these are questions that are too open-massively subjective.

the only realistic answer is there is no answer.

lordfuznut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 9 4:51:28 EDT 2007    Post subject: Re: any correlation between a poems length and quality? Reply with quote

oh no it isn't, there are other realistic answers like:

Everyone knows small poems are better and it's therefore not due their quality alone.

They usually have to prefer the short word/phrase/explanation to the long.

If it's good, it leaves you wanting more.

If it''s shit, you're glad you only wasted a small amount of time and effort reading it.

Poet fuck it
hit it duck it
lick it suck it
fit it chuck it
it it it it it it it

see, you're probably either still loving it while now you've finished it - and your brain is still speed contemplating it and rescanning it because it;s so small - Or, you're like, that was shit, but at least it was over in like two seconds and I can move on.

(Needless to say, I can be found standing around looking all smug and cool with those who agree with me after the discussion.)

I think poetry should follow the rules of a good resume. (ahahaha LOL)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Photo Gallery
oldschooldetroit
Wrote Lyric Verse at least once.

Wrote Lyric Verse at least once.

Credits: 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 4 13:45:45 EST 2007    Post subject: Re: any correlation between a poems length and quality? Reply with quote

lordfuznut wrote:

If it's good, it leaves you wanting more.

If it''s shit, you're glad you only wasted a small amount of time and effort...

It's not always good to want more..., especially when you can't get it! Laughing Laughing Wink

Last edited by oldschooldetroit on Wed Dec 5 22:43:34 EST 2007; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
lordfuznut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 5 15:51:55 EST 2007    Post subject: Re: any correlation between a poems length and quality? Reply with quote

lol!

Justinpdrew
Has the Poetry Bug

Has the Poetry Bug

Credits: 2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27 13:29:43 EST 2009    Post subject: Re: any correlation between a poems length and quality? Reply with quote

My stance is, if it's long, it better be great. If the poem goes long, I better have a reason for spending so much time reading your words, it better take me somewhere.

I have several long poems and I truly believe the length is justified in every one of them. They have a narrative style that keeps the reader engaged.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Deleted_User_2622
"I am RAREFIED!!!"

Poet of the Month!

Credits: 35

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27 18:59:18 EST 2009    Post subject: Re: any correlation between a poems length and quality? Reply with quote

Don't know about poems that are too long- but this one proves quality doesn't have to be sacrificed for works of minimal length-
[url= www.gotpoetry.com/Foru...9702.html]
www.gotpoetry.com/Foru...html[/url]

JPerry1980
Has written an Occasional poem or two.

Has written an Occasional poem or two.
second winner/ekphrastic poetry contestStaff Picks/January 2010Staff Picks/September/ 2010Staff Picks/June 2012Staff Picks/May 2013Staff Picks/August 2013Eat Chicken!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 5 21:03:30 EDT 2009    Post subject: Re: any correlation between a poems length and quality? Reply with quote

Good discussion, and while I enjoy some shorter poems, they generally make me yawn. Unless a poem can tell a story and bring me there within it, it's not worth my time to skim the 30 seconds of 6 lines that it presents (I actually wrote a poem expressing my opinion on the shorter verse called "Ode To Six Line Poems", now my shameless self promotion is ended and I can continue...).

Prose poetry is a distinct form of poetry apart from the more structured, "Rule" driven poetry. Both structured poetry and prose poetry have their time and place. There is nothing wrong with the older strcutured poem such as haiku's or "naturalistic" poetry, it's perfectly fine and if you enjoy it and want to write it, much kudos to you. It does take talent to properly create a rhyme scheme for some of the older styles, such as haikus, and unless you properly know how to write within this structure, it will cause the poem to truly suffer. Some of the best works of poetry have been written with some type of classical "structure".

With that being said; that stuff usually bores the hell out of me.

I much prefer prose poetry that aims to present a story and use imagery to infuse life and beauty within it. Unless you can take me into the world you've created, and you can successfully create a world within your work, it's not worth the effort to me. When it takes me 20 seconds to read a poem, that doesn't give me much time to get into that world, to get into the creation of your poem. You can't (generally speaking, but not always the case) properly create a world within 20 seconds. I look over a poem that's five lines long, and usually I just skip over it because it doesn't seem like enough effort or essence is involved within it. I generally don't bother to read something that's under about twenty lines just because I don't think there is enough "meat" to it, even though I do sometimes get a short poetry kick.

Anyway, it's just my opinion on the matter...

-- j.

"And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so? I did. And what did you want? To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth.‎" -- Raymond Carver

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index > > Poetry Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: