GotPoetry.com > > Forums > > Clubs and Cafe's > > The Coffee Shop > > Why are there so few comments left on poems
GotPoetry.com

Help
Toggle Content .:: Home :: Poems :: Workshop Forums :: Register :: Features ::.
Toggle Content Judge this Poem

Toggle Content User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Nickname
Password
(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Kamaruzzaman
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 16947

People Online:
Members: 2
Visitors: 350
Bots: 2
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff currently online.

Toggle Content Paid Membership
Buy a paid membership and get more out of GotPoetry!

Advertise on the GotPoetry Advertising Network.

Toggle Content Donations
Donate with PayPal!
GotPoetry is a community supported site.
Due Date: Sep 30
September Goal: 230.00
Gross Amount: 140.00
PayPal Fees: 10.34
Net Balance: 129.66
Below Goal: 100.34
Site Currency: USD
56% 
September Donations
11th 
8th 
5th  silent_lot...
3rd  zbird
2nd  NahilaCsem...
1st  Mayo

Toggle Content Top Poetry Clubs

Forums > > Clubs and Cafe's > > The Coffee Shop > > Why are there so few comments left on poems
My PostsMy Posts  SearchSearch   visitView posts since last: visitdayweekmonth

Why are there so few comments left on poems

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index > > The Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deleted_User_9824
Member for Life

Member for Life
Staff Picks/June 2010Poet of Month/July 2010Poem of the Month/November 2010Staff Picks/March 2011

Credits: 0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10 21:12:10 EST 2011    Post subject: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

The poems are a major popularity
contest with many poets losing out
On comments because it's a friendship thing,
I'm unsure of a solution though

I just post and if I get two comments
I'm lucky, this is common problem across
The board.

- how many registered users are there?
do most people click thru without commenting
Are there stats on

Number of people who comment VS
Number of people who click thru without
commenting

Or number of people who rate VS
Number of people who click thru

I'm just trying to work out why most
Registered users don't comment
Or do they?

Stats can help understand what going on

electrictiger
Told love the world was on fire

Staff Picks/October 2009Staff Picks/June 2010Blog Picks/ November 2010Staff Picks/December 2010Blog Picks/June 2011Staff Picks/December 2011Staff Picks/February 2012Blog Picks/January 2013Staff Picks/March 2013Staff Picks/August 2013Staff Picks/October 2013

Credits: 334

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11 14:12:05 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

Human nature is human nature. I would suggest if we're posting poems only to receive comments (in particular, praise), maybe we're writing poems for the wrong reasons. Also many of the posted poems are just not any good. Sometimes it's nicer to say nothing than to say something truthful but painful - advice I haven't always heeded, but something I lean more and more towards these days. Please do not read that to reflect on your own work, or any poet's postings in particular; I'm speaking generally. Another problem is that there's a large number of poets on the site, and it can be frustrating trying to sift through 100 things you don't care for at all, just to find a single something you DO like. If I were to leave 99 comments about why I didn't like a poem to every 1 comment in which I expressed enjoyment, wouldn't I be characterized as a bit of a bastard? Many of the poems that I don't like, in my own view, couldn't be fixed anyway, and the only commentary I could offer would be, "delete the poem". That wouldn't serve any function other than antagonizing someone. So we keep clicking through until we find something we like or else give up in despair. The novelist and poet Margaret Atwood, speaking of criticism - reviewing books, specifically - said "I prefer doling out marshmallows". Meaning she prefers to review and discuss books she enjoyed, rather than panning those she didn't. I can't disagree.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Deleted_User_9824
Member for Life

Member for Life
Staff Picks/June 2010Poet of Month/July 2010Poem of the Month/November 2010Staff Picks/March 2011

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11 17:27:46 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

Tiger your analysis makes sense
Thank you

Ozymandias

Staff Picks/June 2009Staff Picks - June 2009Staff Picks/May 2010Staff Picks/August 2010Staff Picks/September/ 2010Staff Picks/December 2010Judge - holiday poetry contestStaff Picks/January 2011Staff Picks/March 2011gotpoetry curator

Credits: 237

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11 22:25:15 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

Our furry friend said it well. There are just too many poems being posted. Most of them should never be posted in the first place, and the kindest thing one can say about them is nothing, because they are beyond hope. Saying the truth is only going to make you look like a nasty bastard and will probably provoke a vicious response from the author.

And then of course there is the question of time. I probably only get time to read about 1/10 of all the poems posted. Naturally one tends to look for poets whose work one already knows and respects, although from time to time I do look at poets whose work I don't think much of, in the hope that perhaps they have improved, which happens occasionally. Also I try to make a point of checking out newbies to see if I can discover a good poet among them - this also happens occasionally.

As the site grows, I guess we can all expect that we will get fewer comments on our poems. And that quantity will overwhelm quality. It's always the way.

dav.smith
Member for Life

Member for Life
Poet of the Month/November 2010Staff Picks/September 2011

Credits: 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11 23:10:59 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

I too agree, we need to focus on Not looking for comments, but to look at it as no comment is a good thing. I read way more than I comment on,I refuse to make bad comments as I feel that squash's the authors desire to continue writing. I have seen over the few years I have been on this sight several young poets who, persons chose to degrade in their comments and the young poets have not posted since, or in a very limited post. We as a Gould should be here to nurture and in courage their works.

Deleted_User_9824
Member for Life

Member for Life

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11 23:20:47 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

I'm gonna cut back
Maybe abstinence
Go to PA
Thanx I understand!

Deleted_User_13598
Compares Alliteration, Assonance & Rhyme

Staff Picks/April 2013Blog Picks/June 2013

Credits: 79

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11 23:34:14 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

I take it from this that I shouldn't look for comments on my pieces. Bummer...

Ozymandias

Staff Picks/June 2009Staff Picks - June 2009Staff Picks/May 2010Staff Picks/August 2010Staff Picks/September/ 2010Staff Picks/December 2010Judge - holiday poetry contestStaff Picks/January 2011Staff Picks/March 2011gotpoetry curator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11 23:43:42 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

doris wrote:

Not at all. You've just posted a good poem in Forums. But as a newbie, just expect that it may be a while before people notice you, so maybe you won't get many comments immediately.

JPerry1980
Has written an Occasional poem or two.

second winner/ekphrastic poetry contestStaff Picks/January 2010Staff Picks/September/ 2010Staff Picks/June 2012Staff Picks/May 2013Staff Picks/August 2013Eat Chicken!

Credits: 4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11 23:52:45 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

doris wrote:

Network. Go give at least 20 comments (for 20 different poets) for every poem you put up and you shouldn't have any issues. This doesn't mean to take 5 hours out of every day to do it - merely to give more feedback if you expect more feedback. There are some people here who write multitudes of poetry and complain about never having feedback on their work when they never give feedback to others - don't be that person.

GP has been very slow lately with comments - it takes time to become noticed and become a "regular" here. You have to work at it.

My rule of thumb is to comment on at least 20 poems for every poem I post. This generally serves me well. I haven't been commenting much lately but I haven't been writing much of anything lately either - it tends to work itself out.

I can generally tell after reading one or two poems from someone if I dig their style/storytelling/writing. If I do I'll add the person to my buddy list and come back and semi-regularly read them. If I don't dig the poet, I'll move along to someone else.

As a rule of thumb, I tend to avoid most new poets who have shorter poems (and many other regulars around here as well) - I prefer more prosaic poetic work - but I do sometimes make exceptions if it is something that stands out to me.

j.p.

"And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so? I did. And what did you want? To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth.‎" -- Raymond Carver

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Deleted_User_13598

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 9:04:23 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

But isn't commenting here in the forum what people are supposed to do? Shouldn't I expect to have interaction with others? If that isn't what this site is about then I shouldn't really be here. I understand, j.p., that a person needs to "network" and comment more than want comments. I also understand that not every poem will be something we "dig".

What I don't understand is reading "members for life" and a "site curator" saying that poems do not deserve comment. My instructions when joining the site were to come here and get comments. Looking at the number of poems posted here it doesn't seem like "too many" to me. Oh, well, perhaps I'll need to go elsewhere for a poetry community.

Thanks for expressing your honest feelings about the place. It felt very much like walking into a store and seeing an abundance of options and all the people walking around kept telling me that most everything in the store sucked and that hardly anything ever gets sold so why try to sell it. Also reading some other threads in the Coffee Shop I also learned that the folks inside cheat all the time and if they aren't cheating they are blaming others of cheating. I wonder if you know that you come across in this way. (shrug)

Deleted_User_8592
Member for Life

Member for Life
Blog Picks/June 2010Staff Picks/February 2013

Credits: 18

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 10:19:53 EST 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by Deleted_User_8592 on Tue Nov 15 18:55:07 EST 2011; edited 1 time in total

Deleted_User_9824
Member for Life

Member for Life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 10:54:08 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

Comments are essential to keep
A writer motivated otherwise what's the
Point in an interactive site

Comments are how we learn and improve

The workshops help in this regard

But the popularity thing is the trickiest issue
Long lines of comments on a few poets
Who deservedly get these but leaves
The majority of poets lucky to get a comment
Or two

It is human nature this occurs
Doris don't give up it's a great site
I'll read your poetry and comment and
Hopefully others will as they read this

Off to read Doris!

Deleted_User_13598

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 10:56:53 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

I wasn't wondering about a comment with no rating. I'm not even sure what you are talking about. I obviously am missing something in this whole thread. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what "commenting" means to you all. I thought what we are doing know is "commenting". I'm just trying to follow directions from the staff. I was told to post here. While posting here I read through the Coffee Shop banter. I responded to what I have read.

As far as posting a few poems a day...that is not going to happen. I don't write like that. Especially when I am trying to make a finished piece. If having to post a few poems a day makes me "serious" about my work then I am obviously in the wrong place. Wow! How in the world is one expected to take in what others are saying about one's work while posting in such a manner? I don't see you, James, posting in such a way, but you must have proven yourself already. I certainly hadn't lost heart before, but I might have to rethink that after such a statement. Wink

doe

Deleted_User_13598

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 11:01:52 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

Ilan, I have only one poem to comment on. It is in the Post a Poem forum. I am always grateful for a fresh perspective on what I am working on. Thank you. I don't notice that you post poems there. I am puzzled to how you all are actually following the directions of the site. ????

doe

JPerry1980

second winner/ekphrastic poetry contestStaff Picks/January 2010Staff Picks/September/ 2010Staff Picks/June 2012Staff Picks/May 2013Staff Picks/August 2013Eat Chicken!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 11:11:29 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

doris wrote:
But isn't commenting here in the forum what people are supposed to do? Shouldn't I expect to have interaction with others? If that isn't what this site is about then I shouldn't really be here. I understand, j.p., that a person needs to "network" and comment more than want comments. I also understand that not every poem will be something we "dig".

Commenting in the forums is different from the finished poems section. I was referring to the finished poems section. The forums, by nature, have much more interaction with people - as you've discovered here.

doris wrote:
What I don't understand is reading "members for life" and a "site curator" saying that poems do not deserve comment. My instructions when joining the site were to come here and get comments. Looking at the number of poems posted here it doesn't seem like "too many" to me. Oh, well, perhaps I'll need to go elsewhere for a poetry community.

Many of the "poems" here honestly do not merit comments and/or ratings. They are two distinct things in the finished poems section. I avoid ratings for my own work - I don't see a point in being subjectively interpreted by the masses by their whim - and there are many who rate me low just because they disagree with my theological and/or political ideology and it has nothing to do with the work itself. So, I allow only commenting on my work. If you think a piece I've written sucks - say so in the comment as opposed to attempting to give me a "blind rating" that James is referring to above - I don't allow such a thing.

Overall, GP is probably the best poetry website on the internet as there are some incredibly fine poets here (I could introduce you to some). You'll meet some wonderful people through GP but it does take time to network with others. According to the banner there are about 13,000 members. The number of active members here are probably around 500 in actuality and the number of those who regularly read others work and leave feedback is probably around 250 - this is going to be about the average of any poetry website out there.

doris wrote:
Thanks for expressing your honest feelings about the place. It felt very much like walking into a store and seeing an abundance of options and all the people walking around kept telling me that most everything in the store sucked and that hardly anything ever gets sold so why try to sell it. Also reading some other threads in the Coffee Shop I also learned that the folks inside cheat all the time and if they aren't cheating they are blaming others of cheating. I wonder if you know that you come across in this way. (shrug)

Most everything in the store DOES suck. Sometimes I go through the completed poetry section (not the forums generally) and I sigh in reading over some of the "poetry" presented there as it's, to be honest, horrendous and not worth my time. And then there are times I am blown away by the talent and ability of someone. Sturgeon's Revelation states: "90% of everything is crap." - I believe that's accurate in basically everything - including poetry here. It is the same on any poetry website. So, it takes awhile to weed through the awful to get through the truly excellent - and there are some around here who are excellent.

I can't speak to the "cheating" aspect as I don't bother with anything that could lead me to be accused of cheating - I'm not interested in the subjective slams. I just write my work and post it for other people to enjoy or not enjoy. I enjoy the feedback of others, for the most part, just as much as others.

As far as posting multiple times per day - that's a matter of a specific poet's perspective. I sure as hell can't write like that. I write maybe 1-3 poems in any given month so I'm certainly not able to do that. I would just remember to give at least 20 comments per each individual poem you post and people will discover your work.

j.p.

"And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so? I did. And what did you want? To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth.‎" -- Raymond Carver

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
Deleted_User_8592
Member for Life

Member for Life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 13:00:03 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by Deleted_User_8592 on Tue Nov 15 18:56:05 EST 2011; edited 1 time in total

Tony
"I'm not mad. I'm just PISSED OFF!"

Staff Picks!Critic!Judge - holiday poetry contest

Credits: 196

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 14:58:46 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

Doris --

Here's the way the place is supposed to work, the way those of us who were here when it was a BBS back before the Web designed it to work.

1. You posted poems in the Forums.

2. You got comments and feedback on your work.

3. When you felt satisfied with it, you posted it in the Finished Poems section.

That was it.

Here's how it works now:

1. You join the site.

2. You immediately start posting poems to the Finished section.

3. You complain about your ratings, or lack thereof.

4. You disdain actual feedback, and complain about low ratings, and demand changes to the system which you aren't using as intended in the first place.

5. You hang around until you can't stand it anymore -- which is why most of the original staff left long ago. I don't even know why I've stayed.

And now that I think about it...yeah. I think it's time to go.

Have fun.

Tony

GP member, 1998-2011

Deleted_User_8592
Member for Life

Member for Life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 17:13:20 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by Deleted_User_8592 on Tue Nov 15 18:56:56 EST 2011; edited 1 time in total

Tony

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 17:26:45 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

Did I say anything in that post that wasn't true?

I fought hard against this current state of affairs for years. I'm tired. I'm sad. I put a HUGE amount of time into this site and have for a long time. If I am bitter, I'm entitled to it. You don't know the half of it.

I read the poem Doris posted. She's too good a poet not to know the truth. Her comments in this thread indicate that she's already well on her way to figuring it out. All I did was save her some time. Think of it as customer service -- or better yet, service to her poetry and her intelligence.

I've already told John what I did and directed him to this post. He and I are old friends. For his sake, I'm staying on the site until we talk. If he disapproves of it, we'll deal with it ourselves. I take full responsibility for the post and the tone of the post. What i won't do, however, is back away from it.

Deleted_User_8592
Member for Life

Member for Life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 17:47:30 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by Deleted_User_8592 on Tue Nov 15 18:57:38 EST 2011; edited 1 time in total

Tony

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 17:54:01 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

I take it you're not actually hearing me.

More about the site that I like than I dislike? No. I don't even read my old column anymore.

You're right about the writing being most important, which is why I posted what I posted. Way too many people majoring in minors around here. I looked at some of the feedback Doris got on her poem -- she deserved better.

I'm not on here much because I deserve better. I'm here out of loyalty to an old friend and stubbornness about what was. The site doesn't help me much with my own work anymore.

If it serves the needs of others, so be it. It doesn't serve mine. And there are many strong poets who've come to the same conclusion over the years. I think I've just been an idiot.

Deleted_User_9824
Member for Life

Member for Life

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 18:33:23 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

I am staying on GP because it is a great
Place to write and many lovely poets
Let's just work on improving ourselves
and the way the site works and not
blame others

I read my poet friends cause it's human
Nature but I need to try read an unknown
Poet more often

This is good debate but being too negative
Can't help

GP is a poet's paradise in a lonely world
Of writing I'd still recommend this great
Site. A few more comments on poems
for everyone would be nice as this is
feedback.

As a vote of confidence I'm donating
to the site and hope we all see the good
here which there really is

Cheers Ilan

JPerry1980

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 18:41:30 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

Tony (and others):

I come here to read poetry and post my own for the hopeful enjoyment of others. I've never been disappointed in posting work here or in sharing in the enjoyment of the poets I feel who are excellent.

Tony: I don't argue with your understanding of the structure of the site so much as the content itself. There are some wonderful poets here and I feel honored to have a place to come and share my work and read the work of other fine folks.

I remember a time, not so long ago, where it would be impossible to have a place like this where people could come and share their work for the enjoyment of many others - you had to "get lucky" enough through busting your ass off to be published in a literary magazine and then through circulation only a handful of others would be able to enjoy your work and a great number of poets you would never be able to discover. Thanks to the internet this is a bygone era - we now have the opportunity to come together in a place like GP for this purpose.

Is GP perfect? Of course not. But don't allow hypocrisy (including my own, no doubt, from time to time) remove you from the good that is here. I, for one, would definitely miss your insight.

I feel privileged and honored to be able to share my work with individuals like you, Harry Rout, Mary Ann Schallert, Rory Hudson, James, and many others from many different locations and paths. Like any poetry website, we're going to have our ups and downs and whining moments - but what connects us together is our enjoyment in writing and passion for words. I feel I would personally be at a loss without this - and knowing there is a place like GP where I can come and share with others is always a highlight to me on any day of the week.

j.p.

electrictiger

Staff Picks/October 2009Staff Picks/June 2010Blog Picks/ November 2010Staff Picks/December 2010Blog Picks/June 2011Staff Picks/December 2011Staff Picks/February 2012Blog Picks/January 2013Staff Picks/March 2013Staff Picks/August 2013Staff Picks/October 2013

Credits: 334

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 19:32:38 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

Well then. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Ozymandias

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12 19:44:48 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Why are there so few comments left on poems Reply with quote

The site contains a lot of dross, a lot of ridiculously high ratings and insufficient serious critique. Many people seem unable to tolerate low ratings or the faintest suggestion that their poems are not perfect. However, the site still also has a substantial number of very good poets and a substantial amount of useful critique, not to mention that it gives opportunities for good discussion and improving one's work, and personal interaction with other poets. In my opinion this makes it worthwhile. I would like to see many changes but I recognize that resources are limited and there is only so much that John and others can do. My suggestion to anybody who wants to improve the site is to post good poems and give serious feedback and honest ratings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index > > The Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: