GotPoetry.com > > Forums > > GotDiscussion? > > Writing Poetry > > Do you post everything you write?
GotPoetry.com

Help
Toggle Content .:: Home :: Poems :: Workshop Forums :: Register :: Features ::.
Toggle Content Judge this Poem

Toggle Content User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Nickname
Password
(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Darragh777
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 1
Overall: 16910

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 75
Bots: 1
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff currently online.

Toggle Content Paid Membership
Buy a paid membership and get more out of GotPoetry!

Advertise on the GotPoetry Advertising Network.

Toggle Content Donations
Donate with PayPal!
GotPoetry is a community supported site.
Due Date: Aug 31
August Goal: 230.00
Gross Amount: 297.17
PayPal Fees: 11.93
Net Balance: 285.24
Above Goal: 55.24
Site Currency: USD
124% 
August Donations
10th  Blondie
9th  Blondie
9th  Kinode
8th  chameleon
8th  HSTeech
8th  MichaelFir...
8th  Mayo

Toggle Content Top Poetry Clubs

Forums > > GotDiscussion? > > Writing Poetry > > Do you post everything you write?
My PostsMy Posts  SearchSearch   visitView posts since last: visitdayweekmonth

Do you post everything you write?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index > > Writing Poetry
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crowded_Fire
Intrigued

Intrigued

Credits: 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 9 16:07:06 EDT 2010    Post subject: Do you post everything you write? Reply with quote

Do you post every poem you write? Even if you don't like it, or think anyone else will?

wordsmithwannabe
The first hundred years are the hardest

The first hundred years are the hardest
Poet of the Month/April 2010Blog Picks for April 2010Poem of the Month/April 2010Staff Picks/May 2010Staff Picks/May 2010Blog Picks/May 2010Staff Picks/June 2010Staff Picks/June 2010Judge - Quartely Poetry ContestEat Chicken!Winner-haiku contest - September 2010Blog Picks/ November 2010Staff Picks/January 2011Blog Picks/September 2011Staff Picks/October 2011Staff Picks/March 2012Blog Picks/July 2012Staff Picks/July 2012Staff Picks/October 2012GP Curator

Credits: 97
Location: Somewhere between a rock, a hard place, and all points in between. Also known as Vancouver, WA...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 9 17:04:05 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: Do you post everything you write? Reply with quote

i have poems that i've written that i will never post, for varying reasons. i've posted poems that i thought people would hate, and some of them have received more comments than my usual writes. art is a matter of taste. thank god we don't all have the same palate!

Crowded_Fire
Intrigued

Intrigued

PostPosted: Sat Oct 9 18:40:52 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: Do you post everything you write? Reply with quote

Thanks, I think i might post it once my proofreader dude gets back to me!

cathy.robinson
Has written an Occasional poem or two.

Staff Picks/July 2010Staff Picks/January 2011GP Curator

Credits: 23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 9 19:42:05 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: Do you post everything you write? Reply with quote

if you ever want feedback before posting in the forums, you can message me...sometimes i ask other poets to help me out privately before letting the whole gp world have at it...

www.smashwords.com/boo...iew/242627

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Crowded_Fire
Intrigued

Intrigued

PostPosted: Sat Oct 9 20:22:04 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: Do you post everything you write? Reply with quote

Thanks, I might have to take your up on that offer.

Deleted_User_9824
Member for Life

Member for Life
Staff Picks/June 2010Poet of Month/July 2010Poem of the Month/November 2010Staff Picks/March 2011

Credits: 0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 9 21:37:25 EDT 2010    Post subject: Re: Do you post everything you write? Reply with quote

I used to be nervous to go into
these workshops, or comment,
gotten better over time, I think
it's useful to post poems I'm unsure
of, open myself up to feedback yikes
but it's good thank you

Huberjack
Told love the world was on fire

Poet of the Month!Haiku contest: 3rd placeHaiku Contest- 1st placeStaff Picks!Best Critic/July 2009!Staff Picks/Septemeber 2009second winner/ekphrastic poetry contestStaff Picks/December 2009Judge/leave the lights on contestStaff Picks/February 2010Judge of Luck of the 'I wish' contestJudge - Quartely Poetry ContestJudge - holiday poetry contestPoem of the Month/January 2011

Credits: 455

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25 15:52:30 EDT 2011    Post subject: Re: Do you post everything you write? Reply with quote

Beware, those of you who enter contests. Posting your work on GP or othr public poetry sites can be considered by contest sponsors as publishing your work. I've been entering several contests for the last several months with a collection I made of about 80 poems, and I had to remove most of them from here to be able to submit it. Eventually, I'll post them back and remove another set for my next round of submissions.

I really like having my work available online, and greatly value the workshops, so I'll continue to post new work until such time as I include it in a contest grouping.

Writing free verse is like playing tennis with the net down. --Robert Frost (1874-1963)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
JPerry1980

second winner/ekphrastic poetry contestStaff Picks/January 2010Staff Picks/September/ 2010Staff Picks/June 2012Staff Picks/May 2013Staff Picks/August 2013

Credits: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13 11:38:25 EDT 2011    Post subject: Re: Do you post everything you write? Reply with quote

I'm usually capable of penning 2-3 poems in any given month. I'm a prosaic poet, so the average length of any one of my poems is usually 2-3 "small" poems for others.

I've never had any qualms about posting any of my work here at GP. I figure if I don't piss at least a few people off with something I write I'm not doing it right. Nothing is ever really "too personal" to me because I generally delete myself (there is no "I" in my poetry in a literal sense, only in a character speaking of him/herself) on a personal level in the work I pen... err... type. I don't personally exist on a direct level in my work, only indirectly through my characters who speak on my behalf (and sometimes very vocally).

j.p.

"And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so? I did. And what did you want? To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth.‎" -- Raymond Carver

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
electrictiger

Staff Picks/October 2009Staff Picks/June 2010Blog Picks/ November 2010Staff Picks/December 2010Blog Picks/June 2011Staff Picks/December 2011Staff Picks/February 2012Blog Picks/January 2013Staff Picks/March 2013Staff Picks/August 2013Staff Picks/October 2013

Credits: 334

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17 15:56:38 EDT 2011    Post subject: Re: Do you post everything you write? Reply with quote

Crowded_Fire wrote:
Do you post every poem you write? Even if you don't like it, or think anyone else will?

God no. I post most of my poems to the paperbasket, or to the void of the recycle bin. More should go there than do, in truth.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
fogglethorpe
Who knew we would get this far?

Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Seasons Poetry ContestStaff Picks!Blog Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Blog Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Poem of the Month/June 2009Best Critic/August 2009!Poet of the Month/November 2009Staff Picks/February 2010Staff Picks/March 2010Site Curator

Credits: 581

PostPosted: Tue May 17 13:05:28 EDT 2011    Post subject: Re: Do you post everything you write? Reply with quote

I have piles of notes and poems in various stages of completion. Some may get finished, others may not.

And there are a few finished pieces (and by "finished" I mean "ready for workshop") that may never see the light of day, for personal reasons.

Then there is the stuff I wrote in high school and college. I will never post it. You can't make me.

JPerry1980

second winner/ekphrastic poetry contestStaff Picks/January 2010Staff Picks/September/ 2010Staff Picks/June 2012Staff Picks/May 2013Staff Picks/August 2013

Credits: 4

PostPosted: Tue May 17 15:46:10 EDT 2011    Post subject: Re: Do you post everything you write? Reply with quote

fogglethorpe wrote:

Then there is the stuff I wrote in high school and college. I will never post it. You can't make me.

It would actually be entertaining to post up some of our high school stuff just so we can have a good laugh at it. Hugh, I'll go for it if you do!

j.p.

"And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so? I did. And what did you want? To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth.‎" -- Raymond Carver

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Photo Gallery
fogglethorpe

Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Seasons Poetry ContestStaff Picks!Blog Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Blog Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Poem of the Month/June 2009Best Critic/August 2009!Poet of the Month/November 2009Staff Picks/February 2010Staff Picks/March 2010Site Curator

Credits: 581

PostPosted: Wed May 18 9:21:57 EDT 2011    Post subject: Re: Do you post everything you write? Reply with quote

JPerry1980 wrote:

It would actually be entertaining to post up some of our high school stuff just so we can have a good laugh at it. Hugh, I'll go for it if you do!

j.p.

Hmm..you may have to go first.

jh89
"I am RAREFIED!!!"

Winner Luck of the 'I wish' contestStaff Picks/May 2010

Credits: 105

PostPosted: Wed May 18 13:51:47 EDT 2011    Post subject: Re: Do you post everything you write? Reply with quote

I have burned up/trashed/ or lost anything I wrote from art school days twenty plus years ago. The only line I remember from anything is " with each breath I inhaled, the sky grew pale " oh so deep...ha ha. I will at times write five different versions and forms of any idea I have if I am uncertain. A Villanelle can really help you pace, whereas an Italian Sonnet can force you to work within a less difficult structure. If unsure which we can all be at times be not afraid to post up for feedback. Sometimes it take a different set of eyes and ears to figure out what we as writers are missing.

Deleted_User_4315
Poet

Poet
Blog Picks!Poet of the Month!Seasons Poetry Contest!Poem of the Month!Poet of the Month/July 2009judge for there is no place like home contestStaff Picks/September 2009judge/ekphrastic poetry contestStaff Picks/October 2009Judge of Luck of the 'I wish' contestPoem of the Month/Marc 2011Staff Picks/January 2013Staff Picks/April 2013

Credits: 44

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11 16:35:39 EDT 2011    Post subject: Re: Do you post everything you write? Reply with quote

no! no! no! there are stacks of poems I have written as angry poems when I was so mad at someone the only way I could get control of that anger was to write it out. I would never post those poems as the anger passes, we make up, but the poem would be there as a constant reminder. i have poems I worked on and tried to get where I wanted them to go, but they never worked out and they too are in my trash stack. There are poems posted that are so personal I wonder what the poet was thinking when they posted it for the public to see. To me there are public poems, personal poems, and trash Smile. I only post the ones that the general public could appreciate and that actually turn out as intended.

zhaul
Been here longer than 3 servers ago.

Been here longer than 3 servers ago.
Poet of the Month!Staff Picks/August 2010Best Critic/August 2010Eat Chicken!gotpoetry curator

Credits: 359

PostPosted: Fri Sep 2 7:11:27 EDT 2011    Post subject: Re: Do you post everything you write? Reply with quote

Well for me 99% of what I write in English goes to GP, for me poetry in English is a challenge, I want to write and think better English, for it is not my native language. And I can appreciate and be very thankful for all the help I have received over the years I have been here.
I must confess that I have deleted some of my old poems which I intend to re-write some day, maybe.
The thing is that GP brought me back to my school days, if you know what I mean, back to study Grammar.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Photo Gallery
NikeAGoGo
Galileo is laughing at you from on high

Galileo is laughing at you from on high
Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks/August 2012

Credits: 104

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15 19:08:49 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Do you post everything you write? Reply with quote

I don't but then again, most of poems, are products of multiple re-writes, therefore I feel embarrassed putting something out that isn't clear in its intentions. With the same breath however, nothing is ever finished, and even poems that I feel okay putting out, I would also feel okay with putting in a work shop because if it is good, then no one can do anything to make it better.
Also the really really good ones, I also won't post on here either, because if they have ever touched a digital media (and there always is a way to find it) you can't get paid to publish in print.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
FuchsiaFestival!
Compares Alliteration, Assonance & Rhyme

Compares Alliteration, Assonance & Rhyme
Staff Picks/August 2011Staff Picks/October 2011Young Poet/July 2012Staff Picks/September 2012Staff Picks/January 2013

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30 23:17:18 EDT 2014    Post subject: Re: Do you post everything you write? Reply with quote

Complicated story (somewhat):

A couple of years ago, I used to post way too many poems (things I think were crappy and ended up deleting). I love writing in the abstract nowadays, but back then, most of the things I wrote were really awkward, but I was trying to figure out who I was as a person at the time and develop a unique writing style.

I wanted to dig into my psych a bit. I finally found both concrete/abstract styles that work for me without making it sound as if I'm shoving a dictionary or really awkward sayings into somebody's brain. Some poems fail, but the ratio of poems that sound good is a lot higher than before. Now, I only post like 2/4 of my poems and am sort of self-conscious about some of them.

I often have the feeling that 2/4's of my poetry is crappy or good but nobody will like it and 2/4 of my poetry is good stuff that people will like. This doesn't bother me much and I often post things that I think people will like (some of which is concrete and other stuff that is abstract).

I know not everybody will like your work (generally speaking), and that's fine. I just happen to balance what I think is good work of mine with what others will think of it (without being too obsessive of both).

In the last year, I think I produced more good stuff than I did than say...three / four years ago (things I'm embarrassed about, haha.)

Some things, I don't take too seriously, and others I do. Sometimes, the poems I write in five minutes are a lot better than the ones I write in an hour or through multiple edits (in days..usually a few days), or vice versa.

I don't like to label most of this stuff. It is what it is. And besides, I don't like all of my work (either for being generally crappy or okay/good but not what I want/ed to produce), and others like some/all/none of my work, but the thing is, different people like different stuff (like some enjoy stream of consciousness and others don't - debatable).

That's why I try to put other people's opinions into consideration while writing certain things without being too worried. Some stuff I write to entertain others, and other stuff to reflect/heal/think/express happiness, sadness/create a surrealistic effect (my internal world often times) etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index > > Writing Poetry All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: