GotPoetry.com > > Forums > > Clubs and Cafe's > > The Coffee Shop > > Complaints/Unhonest Ratings/Why Poets Don"t Block Rating....
GotPoetry.com

Help
Toggle Content .:: Home :: Poems :: Workshop Forums :: Register :: Features ::.
Toggle Content Judge this Poem

Toggle Content User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Nickname
Password
(Register)

Membership:
Latest: Katbruu
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 16884

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 141
Bots: 1
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff currently online.

Toggle Content Paid Membership
Buy a paid membership and get more out of GotPoetry!

Advertise on the GotPoetry Advertising Network.

Toggle Content Donations
Donate with PayPal!
GotPoetry is a community supported site.
Due Date: Jul 31
July Goal: 180.00
Gross Amount: 0.00
PayPal Fees: 0.00
Net Balance: 0.00
Below Goal: 180.00
Site Currency: USD
 0%

Toggle Content Top Poetry Clubs

Forums > > Clubs and Cafe's > > The Coffee Shop > > Complaints/Unhonest Ratings/Why Poets Don"t Block Rating....
My PostsMy Posts  SearchSearch   visitView posts since last: visitdayweekmonth

Complaints/Unhonest Ratings/Why Poets Don"t Block Rating....

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index > > The Coffee Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are ratings important to GP's survival?
Are ratings important to the individual poets survival?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Do you think you would survive without ratings?
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Are you a wuss? ( person who is physically weak and ineffectual)
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Are ratings important to GP survival?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

Deleted_User_8592
Member for Life

Member for Life
Blog Picks/June 2010Staff Picks/February 2013

Credits: 18

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23 9:39:29 EST 2011    Post subject: Complaints/Unhonest Ratings/Why Poets Don"t Block Rating.... Reply with quote

Complaints rater are not honest when ratings. Complaints of not getting comments. Complaints on getting low ratings. Complaints of comments lacking in good feed back.

Yet! These same complainers are not blocking ratings the number one complaint after crying and whining that GP has been taken over by friendship hunting thugs that are nothing more than hobbyist that have no aspirations to write better poetry turning GP into SHIT. BWP... Rush Limbaugh style of reporting.

Why are there not more poets blocking ratings?

Are they afraid of standing on their own morals and let the writing stand on its own?

Does the pretty little stars make them look like better poets?

I have a thought for the staff that have also said that rating are not honest.

Are you willing to pull your pants down and put a target on your ass by dropping rating on all new posting to the finished section?

If not... WHY?

If we stop asking for ratings should we be honest and not give rating?

Remember we are only hobbyist, how can we be judges, even though from the beginning of our free membership we are asked to be.

Tony
"I'm not mad. I'm just PISSED OFF!"

Staff Picks!Critic!Judge - holiday poetry contest

Credits: 196

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23 15:15:26 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Complaints/Unhonest Ratings/Why Poets Don"t Block Rating.... Reply with quote

FYI:

The ratings system was created for one reason -- to allow the poets on the site to promote the best poems so that NON-MEMBERS could see the best poems on the site if they visited.

That was the reason behind its creation. NOT to boost poet egos; to promote the site.

How it works/is working currently, I won't discuss.

NikeAGoGo
Galileo is laughing at you from on high

Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks/August 2012

Credits: 104

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23 17:03:14 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Complaints/Unhonest Ratings/Why Poets Don"t Block Rating.... Reply with quote

I had to do it! Just because it was funny.

Okay this is just my humble opinion...
But while yes, a rating does feel nice.. I am often confused by the highest rated poems... I have one.. its like in the top tend of popular poems on GP.. it also makes me laugh because I wrote in 5 minutes..posted it up...and it got all this attention and I personally hate this poem.
Go figure..but maybe that's how the ratings work. Its not about what you like to write but what others like to read and maybe it does help in the sense of knowing what readers are geared towards (cept it only counts when its high volume numbers and when you get there I think there's an honestly in the value of the poem). I have this poem that I personally hate was first rated as a 10. It won a slam contest, got published in the GP anthology..and now its a 7 and 1/2 and I can live with that. Its not bad...but certainly not great.
Now until you get about 40 people voting on something its pretty much a mute point. Some people will love it, others will hate it and some people will hate you or love you, and that's why they vote... and if you are lucky enough to be read and voted one... you get the core of the matter of where your poem fits. It would be nice if voting was mandatory really..
Though even then with the most popular poems its really guided by the title of the piece..so yeah some other poems that are highly read and highly rated are crap poems (in my opinion) but get notoriety for dropping a curse word, or a shocking title... my poem that got attention was called When I am naked...its not all a poem about sex as much as it is about anything else..but people clicked on it thinking that it was.
So yeah.. while I don't really care whether a poem is rated, I honestly like it more that a poem is read. I also personally think the comments are more valuable. In fact I love constructive criticism in a comment more than anything...which is why I think I give it...and why I think some of my poems have been attacked. I don't know if its still visible but I remember seeing giant rampages of "one" ratings on day over several poems that had a bunch of 10 and 9's (this person I consider a coward because they never left a comment) Again not worried about it because it just reflects this person being a sad sack and if I am lucky again.. I can get more readings...or maybe i am already at where the poem stands...because of this sad sack...am I Walt Whitman? Hell no...not even close...

Okay enough rambling. But yes sir...fight the good fight Smile

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Deleted_User_8592
Member for Life

Member for Life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23 18:59:26 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Complaints/Unhonest Ratings/Why Poets Don"t Block Rating.... Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
FYI:

The ratings system was created for one reason -- to allow the poets on the site to promote the best poems so that NON-MEMBERS could see the best poems on the site if they visited.

That was the reason behind its creation. NOT to boost poet egos; to promote the site.

How it works/is working currently, I won't discuss.

Lyla wrote:
I had to do it! Just because it was funny.

Okay enough rambling. But yes sir...fight the good fight Smile

Tony... You do not have to elaborate at all for I do agree with you. This is not meant for you, for you don't post here anymore. Another thing I can call you a prick and an elitist that does not mean I believe you are a prick or an elitist. Quite the opposite. Maybe an ass. I hope you know what I mean (giving color to a subject). Like Lyla said funny.

This is for those who are old time members posting here asking for ratings knowing rating are of no use except for scouring brownie points. I'll give you good rating if you return the favor. No matter how the system was conceived it was designed to fail.

The new non paying members of which I was part of at one time is given the right to rate poetry before even posting a poem. That meaning as a new member not knowing anything about brokenfinger have the right to rate brokenfinger. I am sure that induce got some pretty low rating from poets that do not understand what he is doing. I still don't understand. All first time users are able to post in the finished section as soon as signing up. I think if they could not it would divert a lot of members from site meaning less subscriptions sold.

If one is forced to place their poetry in a work shop forum and other poets started lending voice to their work it would drive them away. Then we would have another problem, poetry work shop forums would be so overloaded that nothing would be getting done and poets would be complaining they are getting no help or the help that they are getting is not helping them. Good-by poet and subscription.

Tony would you waste your time on a site where a bottleneck is created by traffic that is being diverted through a work shop forum of 13000 members or even 500 members? Problems now... What if?

BWP...

NikeAGoGo

Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks/August 2012

Credits: 104

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23 19:54:13 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Complaints/Unhonest Ratings/Why Poets Don"t Block Rating.... Reply with quote

Oh no, I certainly wouldn't...
I am just saying that if you read a poem you have to rate it... it seems the only way to make it feel right. I have poems that have over a 1,000 reads but only 11 votes and as shallow and egotistical as I am... I know I haven't read my poems 989 times... or even a 100 times... and I am certain I am not the only one. If ratings would work it would seem that it should be something mandatory...like you read it you rate...and leave a comment if you want to...kinda like the slams... where its simple.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24 4:04:08 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Complaints/Unhonest Ratings/Why Poets Don"t Block Rating.... Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by Tony on Thu Nov 24 4:09:07 EST 2011; edited 1 time in total

Tony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24 4:04:33 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Complaints/Unhonest Ratings/Why Poets Don"t Block Rating.... Reply with quote

Y'know...all I was trying to do was provide the historical background as to why things are structured the way they are.

My own opinion? The site's too big for the current infrastructure. Period.

I stopped workshopping here because I got crappy feedback here in the forums. When I got more crappy feedback than good feedback, I stopped workshopping here and went elsewhere, developing my own circle of trusted advisors.

I think the idea that workshopping damages or interferes with your own poetic voice is ludicrous, but that's my opinion.

If I found it of value to workshop here again, I'd come back.

Even so, I've only ever posted a small number of poems in the Finished Section. Those are the ones I wanted to represent me here. Piling up a huge number of poems here isn't of interest to me -- I have my own blog for that.

The answer to the question: would I waste my time here, etc...is that I never used the site that way, as my primary means of getting my work out there, so to me, it wouldn't matter.

Deleted_User_8592
Member for Life

Member for Life

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24 10:21:39 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Complaints/Unhonest Ratings/Why Poets Don"t Block Rating.... Reply with quote

Lyla wrote:
Oh no, I certainly wouldn't...
I am just saying that if you read a poem you have to rate it... it seems the only way to make it feel right. I have poems that have over a 1,000 reads but only 11 votes and as shallow and egotistical as I am... I know I haven't read my poems 989 times... or even a 100 times... and I am certain I am not the only one. If ratings would work it would seem that it should be something mandatory...like you read it you rate...and leave a comment if you want to...kinda like the slams... where its simple.

Lyla... So you think one should be blocked from leaving a finished poems page if one has not rated.

Say I go to a page and I don;t care for the subject matter, that is found in the first few lines, which at that point I stop reading. I then rate and leave?

Say it is a genre I don't care for too much like sexual that is written too explicit. I vote and leave?

I know what you said about sexual poem you wrote and how it took off on reads. Awhile back I told JPerry if I wrote a sexual poem, posted a very explicit title in sexual genre it would pop (I only write funny sexual) before it reached the bottom of the page and it did way before ever getting near the bottom and other titles below a hundred reads.

What I am saying here is if every reader was required to vote on every read before leaving the page all top rated poems on site would be sexual titles and all top poets would be poets that post only in that genre.

I know that non members are reading works all the time just visiting the site which counts for most all the reads. We are not getting ratings from non members, I know I am not able to rate without signing on.

Are we hitting a brick wall here when it comes to ratings and just put rating out of our mind and not even think about them even to the point of taking the time to block them as I have been advocating... I really wanted to hear what the staff had to say to why they don't block ratings even when they don't think they are honest. Silence from that side of the room.

Tony wrote:

I think the idea that workshopping damages or interferes with your own poetic voice is ludicrous, but that's my opinion.

If I found it of value to workshop here again, I'd come back.

Tony if the poetry work shop here is no value to you here, what value is it to me? You started writing long before me while I was working eighty hour weeks in the bottom of Navy ships burning rods and getting home barely able to hold my head up. I am not much on preachers that are not willing to stand up to congregations when they know the congregation is misguided and they walk out the room. They lost their calling.

I tried the work shop and it turned me off. Poets, even staff members leaving postings like this, BWP... "It is not working for me." Over and over. Well work shop did not work for me.

The site is to big to have a meaningful work shop? To avoid a bottleneck in the work shop the ones that enjoy it, more power to them.

I think I will take my mind off how other poets are posting their works now it matters no more me. All that matters is the writing.

Tony thank you for the help.

Lyla I think we have another subject. Self Publishing. Tony if you don't mind I would like your 2cents. Posted in Coffee Shop Forum... I think this is where you can help. BWP...

Tony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24 11:12:17 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Complaints/Unhonest Ratings/Why Poets Don"t Block Rating.... Reply with quote

I think Lyla offered the same advice I'd offer on self-publishing. That it has a long history, serves some people well, and has an undeserved stigma. It's more popular than ever these days.

I've self-published most of my own chapbooks, with only one of the fifteen or so having gone the traditional route. It's worked for me.

Tony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24 11:16:26 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Complaints/Unhonest Ratings/Why Poets Don"t Block Rating.... Reply with quote

"I am not much on preachers that are not willing to stand up to congregations when they know the congregation is misguided and they walk out the room. They lost their calling."

Bullshit. You don't have a clue how long and hard I worked on these issues for years. Between my column here, my running actual moderated workshops, involvement in the Forums, and other efforts, I devoted a lot of time to these issues (which date back to the beginning of the site as more than a local bulletin board). I walked away because it was obvious I was fighting a losing battle, and that the site had evolved beyond what I could offer. It was killing me in terms of how much time I spent here. I chose to move on for my own sanity.

I've NEVER surrendered my calling. EVER.

Deleted_User_8592
Member for Life

Member for Life

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24 12:05:10 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Complaints/Unhonest Ratings/Why Poets Don"t Block Rating.... Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
"I am not much on preachers that are not willing to stand up to congregations when they know the congregation is misguided and they walk out the room. They lost their calling."

Tony I pulled that line out my hat the wrong way. It would have been bullshit if I was talking about you. Ever since coming here you have been saying the same thing. Sure would not say you lost your calling or walked away. If you walked away you would not be in this forum putting up with addressing me. More to what I said is you truly did not walk away and I have lost respect for preachers that have. Maybe that is clear now... Didn't mean to give you a wedge.

My structure was off or you completely miss understood me.

kylebank

Staff Picks/April 2012Staff Picks/March 2011Staff Picks/April 2011Staff Picks/May 2011Blog Picks/May 2012Staff Picks/April 2013

Credits: 73

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24 12:18:45 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Complaints/Unhonest Ratings/Why Poets Don"t Block Rating.... Reply with quote

Tony wrote:

My own opinion? The site's too big for the current infrastructure. Period.

Tony, I think you've hit the nail on the head here!

fogglethorpe
Who knew we would get this far?

Who knew we would get this far?
Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Seasons Poetry ContestStaff Picks!Blog Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Blog Picks!Staff Picks!Staff Picks!Poem of the Month/June 2009Best Critic/August 2009!Poet of the Month/November 2009Staff Picks/February 2010Staff Picks/March 2010Site Curator

Credits: 582

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24 12:28:15 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Complaints/Unhonest Ratings/Why Poets Don"t Block Rating.... Reply with quote

BrokenWordsPoet wrote:
Complaints rater are not honest when ratings. Complaints of not getting comments. Complaints on getting low ratings. Complaints of comments lacking in good feed back.

Yet! These same complainers are not blocking ratings the number one complaint after crying and whining that GP has been taken over by friendship hunting thugs that are nothing more than hobbyist that have no aspirations to write better poetry turning GP into @#!*% . BWP... Rush Limbaugh style of reporting.

Why are there not more poets blocking ratings?

Are they afraid of standing on their own morals and let the writing stand on its own?

Does the pretty little stars make them look like better poets?

I have a thought for the staff that have also said that rating are not honest.

Are you willing to pull your pants down and put a target on your @#!*% by dropping rating on all new posting to the finished section?

If not... WHY?

If we stop asking for ratings should we be honest and not give rating?

Remember we are only hobbyist, how can we be judges, even though from the beginning of our free membership we are asked to be.

Why do you care so much what other poets are doing?

And I do not consider myself a "hobbyist"..my first book will be out next year.

Deleted_User_8592
Member for Life

Member for Life

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24 13:26:34 EST 2011    Post subject: Re: Complaints/Unhonest Ratings/Why Poets Don"t Block Rating.... Reply with quote

fogglethorpe wrote:

Why do you care so much what other poets are doing?

And I do not consider myself a "hobbyist"..my first book will be out next year.

Hugh did you take the time to read all of my postings? If you did you would find that Tony was the first one that brought up the word "hobbyist" In another forum. I am so glad you consider yourself not a hobbyist as I do not consider myself as one also and I do not go about assuming that others are. I would never think of slandering good names.

BrokenWordsPoet wrote:

Are we hitting a brick wall here when it comes to ratings and just put rating out of our mind and not even think about them even to the point of taking the time to block them as I have been advocating... I really wanted to hear what the staff had to say to why they don't block ratings even when they don't think they are honest. Silence from that side of the room.

Me asking you why you don't block rating even though you think they are dishonest is to sensitive a subject for you to answer?

Even though in the quote from my own writing says; just put rating out of our mind and not even think about them even to the point of taking the time to block them as I have been advocating...

I gave up asking the question at this point. Why did you come back at me? I don't even want your answer at this point. You just spoke to Ilan's about his sensitivities to mocking and now you have sensitivities to a question you did not answer and thinking I called you a hobbyist? Now who is putting words in who's mouth?

Congratulation on your first book... Maybe if it is not to much of me to ask can you give some feed back on self publishing. Maybe a subject more fitting to our taste and let the subject of ratings die. Start a new by tending to our own business... It will work for me... BWP...

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|      Forum Index > > The Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: