New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Buy a paid membership and get more out of GotPoetry!
Advertise on the GotPoetry Advertising Network.
6 ways you can help keep Gotpoetry.com running.
(771 total words in this text)
This page is outdated and you should refer to the wiki. ... Gotpoetry.com is a completely free site with no obtrusive advertising - if advertising is present at all. The web ad market doesn't pay unless you're a massive site with many thousands of visitors. There are no user subscription fees (necessary to contribute), the site gets no external funding and it is supported almost entirely by donations of the time, creativity, and cash of it's contributors.
If you are interested in supporting Gotpoetry.com -- in any small way -- there are 6 different ways you can help.
1) You can submit original articles relating to poetry - such as event announcements, interesting spotlights on poets, other happenings that people like you -- people who come to this site -- would be interested in. Have an event coming up - even months from now? Have a juicy piece of gossip? Submit it anonymously. Want to publicize your own reading's features? Submit it as an article with all the pertinent details the site editor will usually schedule the article to appear on the site 5 days before your event. If you'd like it sooner, just say so in the top section of the article submission page in BIG LETTERS or some other obvious way and it'll be set to appear on the main page (minus the BIG LETTERS) when you specify.
All you have to do is click on the Submit News link near the date at the top of the site and either copy and paste or directly type your article in the form and then click submit. It's all very easy. When an administrator looks at the site, they see what is waiting to be approved and then set when it will appear on the site. An article submitted about an event will usually be scheduled to appear 5 days or so before that event.
2) Write a Venue Review. Have you recently been to a club or performance space that holds poetic events? Does that venue let you read more than one poem? Are the regulars of the venue hostile to poets "taking over" their space? Is it the greatest place you never knew about? Write up a review of that space, give it a rating from 0 to 10 and help others to know what to expect before they make the trip.
3) Contribute to the Poetry Calendar. Don't feel like writing a whole article about an event? Don't have much to write about because the event is on the smaller cozier side? Just submit a short blurb along with the date and time of the event. Submitted calendar events will appear in the Calendar section of the site as soon as it's approved and on the day of the event, it will appear on the main page in the "Today's Poetic Events" block.
4) You could always contribute to the Web Links section of the site. Search engines are great when you know what to look for. Save people some time and point them directly to the good stuff. Also, if you run a web site, link to Gotpoetry.com and you'll be doing us a favor. With Google, the search rankings are directly related to valid reciprocal links.
5) Add a graphic button for Gotpoetry.com to your personal web site. Just cut and paste the below text into your own site and let people know you like this site.
6) Lastly, and for obvious reasons, there's always donating money. Through Paypal, you can safely make any size donation you wish. Gotpoetry.com costs thousands of dollars to maintain and there will be a day when we have to move the site to a much larger server. We would like to offer payment to regular columnists, and someday increase the space allotment of the free GotPoet Pages on this site.
You can make a donation by clicking on the button below.
As always, if you have any questions or suggestions, email the webmaster or more preferably, use the feedback link on the home menu of the site.
GotPoetry Builder and Main Editor
Providence Poetry Slam Master
GotPoetry - News for poets. Place to write.
GotPoetry is the most popular network of performance poets and poetry readings on the internet today.
Editors: John, Mamta and a cast of tens of others.
Content © 1998-2008
Link for all submission options for this site.
Subscribe - Use an RSS reader to stay up to date with the latest news and posts from GotPoetry.
GotPoetry News RSS Feed Subscribe with Yahoo!
Subscribe with Google
Other GotPoetry RSS Syndication - You can syndicate other parts of our site using the following files: